Sunday, August 25, 2013

Monday, August 26

I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend! I know I did. My family went to the Lamar Fair to ride the rides with grandparents. It was a blast! I always love eating the fair food! We also went to a BBQ with some neighbors. All I can say is I have stayed up way too late and eaten way too much, so now I'm ready for a brand new week to start so I can get back on schedule.

I uploaded our newsletter to the Newsletter page this week. I am hoping to go completely paperless with the newsletters, so if you'd still like a printed copy, please let me know. It includes important dates coming up, information about class projects and upcoming special events. Be sure to check it out.

This week we have some fun things starting in Social Studies. We will be studying the state of Missouri. Students will need to be able to identify major cities and rivers as well as the states that border Missouri. We will be working with salt dough to create maps. This is one of my favorite projects of the entire year! I love to see how creative the students get with their maps, and it's just fun to play with messy dough (no matter how old you are!)

Our class took a timed multiplication test on Friday. If your child didn't get eight problems correct in the five minutes, I sent it home as homework. I cannot stress enough how important it is for these facts to be fluent and memorized. Multiplication is a huge part of the foundation of fourth grade math. Please encourage your child to be practicing this daily at home. I would love for the kids who ride the bus to have these with them in their backpacks. We have about fifteen minutes each day that we sit in the hallway while we wait for buses. I would love for students to be able to work in small groups to practice math facts during this time.

We also took a spelling test this week. I was very proud of how well the students did. Thank you for your help with studying our words. We will take an oral test every Wednesday over the ten words I give them on Monday, and a multiple choice test on Fridays that is made of twenty words they should know.  You can find the spelling words for the entire year on the Spelling link at the top of this page.

I am really enjoying getting to know your children. I know we are going to have a fantastic year together! See you all tomorrow morning!

Mrs. Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment